Oregon Cannabis License Guidelines

Oregon Liquor and Cannabis Commission

Licensing and Enforcement Criteria

The Oregon Liquor and Cannabis Commission (OLCC) is the agency responsible for regulating the sale and service of alcoholic beverages in Oregon by administering the state’s Liquor Control Act and regulating the production, processing and sale of recreational marijuana in Oregon through the Control, Regulation and Taxation of Marijuana and Industrial Hemp Act. The agency also regulates the production, processing and sale of medical products sold to Oregon Medical Marijuana Program (OMMP) cardholders in OLCC licensed marijuana retail shops.  

The Recreational Marijuana Program is exclusively authorized to make recreational and medical grade marijuana available to consumers and licensed businesses through retail marijuana stores. The program also tracks the growing, transporting, processing and selling of recreational marijuana products. The Public Safety Program is responsible for licensing and regulating the operation of the recreational marijuana industry in Oregon.

The Medical Marijuana Program is responsible for the tracking of any OMMP grow (producer) that is registered to produce marijuana for three or more patients, OMMP processing sites and OMMP dispensaries. The Oregon Health Authority administers the Oregon Medical Marijuana Program. 

At the time of initial license or certificate application an applicant must pay a $250 non-refundable application fee.

If the Commission approves an application and grants an annual license, the following fees must be paid, prorated for an initial license that is issued for six months or less:

  • Producers:
    • Micro Tier I $1,000
    • Micro Tier II $2,000
    • Tier I $3,750
    • Tier II $5,750
  • Processors: $4,750
  • Wholesalers: $4,750
  • Micro Wholesalers: $1,000
  • Retailers: $4,750
  • Laboratories: $4,750
  • Sampling Laboratory: $2,250

Oregon Cannabis Law & Compliance

Several laws and ordinances regulate the Oregon legal cannabis industry, as well as the many different steps in the supply chain. These laws range over dispositions for cultivators, manufacturers, distributors and retail dispensaries. The most recent news can be found on these websites:


Will there be a quota for how many retail outlets will be allowed?

There is no quota for the number of retail licenses the OLCC will be issuing at this time.

How do I apply for a Recreational Marijuana License?

You may apply for a new recreational marijuana license by navigating to the Recreational Marijuana Licensing System and clicking on the “Register for a Business Account” button.  Once you have created an account, you can log in to submit license applications. You may use this to apply for a new laboratory license or a research certificate. You may also use it to complete a change of ownership for any license type.

What licenses are currently unavailable and when will they become available?

Applicants may not apply for a new Producer, Wholesaler, Retailer, or Processor license until March 31, 2024.

Can an outside individual or business purchase the license of an existing cannabis business in Oregon?

If a business is proposing to add or replace a “licensee of record” (a person or entity whose name appears on the license certificate), or to add new natural persons who will own 51% or more of the business, you must submit a Change of Ownership form. The Change of Ownership form must be submitted by the current licensee or an authorized representative of the current licensee, from an email address associated with the current licensee’s account. This type of change requires prior approval from OLCC before the change can be implemented. The buyer must submit a new license application in the Recreational Marijuana Licensing System (a “change of ownership” application). The buyer cannot operate the business until the new license has been issued.

Can an outside business or individual buy into a licensed cannabis business without taking over majority control?

If your business is proposing to remove people who qualify as “licensees” or add people who will qualify as “applicants” and these changes do not rise to the level of a “change of ownership,” please submit a Change of Business Structure Notification form. This type of change requires the licensee to notify OLCC, but it does not require prior approval from OLCC before implementing the change. If OLCC discovers a denial basis related to a person you have added, you can choose to remove that person from the business or OLCC can propose license revocation or restrictions. This form may also be used to change the name of a legal entity when the Secretary of State number remains the same.

Oregon Cannabis License Types


A producer may possess, plant, cultivate, grow, harvest, and dry marijuana in the manner approved by the Commission.  Producers may engage in indoor or outdoor production of cannabis or a combination of the two.

The producer is also licensed to sell, transfer, and deliver usable cannabis to the licensed premises of a producer under common ownership, a processor, wholesaler, retailer, laboratory, non-profit dispensary, or research certificate holder.

Mature Canopy Size Limits:

Indoor Production: Unless otherwise provided by these rules, the maximum mature canopy size limits for indoor production are:

  • Micro tier I: Up to 625 square feet
  • Micro tier II: 626 to 1,250 square feet
  • Tier I: 1,251 to 5,000 square feet
  • Tier II: 5,001 to 10,000 square feet

Outdoor Production: Unless otherwise provided by these rules, the maximum mature canopy size limits for outdoor production are:

  • Tier I: Up to 2,500 square feet.
  • Micro tier II: 2,501 to 5,000 square feet.
  • Tier I: 5,001 to 20,000 square feet.
  • Tier II: 20,001 to 40,000 square feet.


Licensed laboratories must also be accredited by the Oregon Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program (ORELAP) in addition to the OLCC. Licensed laboratories are responsible for testing cannabis and its derivative products for pesticides, solvents or residual solvents, tetrahydrocannabinol and cannabidiol concentration, and for microbiological or other contaminants.


This is a certificate that allows the holder to research marijuana for the purpose of benefiting the state’s marijuana industry, medical research, or public health and safety.


Required to process, compound, or convert marijuana or hemp into cannabinoid products (including edibles, vape cartridges, tinctures, etc.), concentrates, and/or extracts. Most processors also must obtain a commercial food kitchen license from the ODA as part of their OLCC license.


Required to purchase quantities of marijuana in any form from other OLCC licensed growers and processors and sell the products to licensed retailers, processors, producers, other wholesalers, or research certificate holders. This license also provides the ability to purchase hemp from licensed processors and sell hemp items to licensed retailers, processors, and other wholesalers.


Required to sell or deliver marijuana or hemp items directly to consumers.

Copyright © 2023 Canoja Technologies |

Site by CannaPlanners