The Medicinal Cannabis Regulatory Board (MCRB) is part of Puerto Rico’s Department of Health, which oversees the medical marijuana treatment program.
The MCRB authorizes medical marijuana cards to qualified patients and also:
- Provides training and certification to physicians who wish to recommend medical cannabis
- Regulates and authorizes medicinal cannabis establishments
- Provides occupational licenses to those who want to work at a medicinal cannabis establishment
To be eligible for a cannabis license in Puerto Rico there are several criteria that must be met:
- The applicant must be over twenty-one years of age or legally emancipated.
- Submit a copy of your ID with a current photo of each applicant that will have participation greater than five percent (5%) in the business.
- Show that fifty-one percent of the ownership belongs to legal residents of Puerto Rico.
- Submit to a background check no further than three months from the date that the issued license, for each applicant holder who has a participation greater than five percent.
- Not be subject to or have served a sentence for felony conviction under federal or state law relating to the possession, distribution, manufacture, cultivation or use of a controlled substance.
This is not a full list of prerequisites for consideration of a cannabis license.