The Department of Cannabis Control (DCC) is the California state agency that licenses and regulates cannabis businesses. DCC regulates the:
- Growing of cannabis plants
- Manufacture of cannabis products
- Transportation and tracking of cannabis goods throughout the state
- Sale of cannabis goods
- Events where cannabis is sold or used
- Labeling of goods sold at retail
The DCC was created on July 12, 2021, by consolidating the three former state cannabis authorities:
- Bureau of Cannabis Control (Department of Consumer Affairs)
- CalCannabis Cultivation Licensing Division (California Department of Food and Agriculture)
- Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch (California Department of Public Health)
The Cannabis Advisory Committee makes recommendations to DCC about regulations and licensing.
The Cannabis Advisory Committee (CAC) is tasked with advising DCC on the development of relevant standards and regulations for commercial cannabis businesses, including those necessary to protect public health and safety. These requirements are guided by Business and Professions codes.
The CAC is expected to provide valuable input to DCC’s development of regulations and standards through its comprehensive representation and each individual member’s unique perspective on consumer, community, and market issues. In addition, the CAC will provide an important venue for DCC to hold robust public discussions that support the development of an innovative regulatory framework that benefits all Californians and results in a safe, sustainable, and equitable cannabis market.
The California Cannabis Authority is a Joint Powers Authority established by county governments pursuant to the Joint Exercise of Powers Act to provide its members access to a sophisticated data analytics platform to regulate commercial cannabis in their jurisdiction. By providing current, actionable intelligence and reports, local regulators and tax officials will have the power to make decisions efficiently based on facts to increase tax realization and enhance both public safety and economic prosperity.